How to add a Cash-on-Delivery (COD) Payment Option on Shopify
Cash on delivery (COD), sometimes called collect on delivery, is the sale of goods by mail order where payment is made on delivery rather than in advance. If the goods are not paid for, they are returned to the retailer. Originally, the term applied only to payment by cash but as other forms of payment have become more common, the word “cash” has sometimes been replaced with the word “collect” to include transactions by checks, credit cards or debit cards.
There are quite a lot of advantages in setting up COD as a payment option. First is that the customer does not need to own a credit card to purchase. Impulse purchases may increase as payment is not due at the time of ordering. Lastly, the credibility of retailers may be increased because the consumer only has to pay when the item is delivered.
Do you want to be one step ahead of your competitors? Then this is one of the things that you need to consider.
Add a Cash-on-Delivery (COD) Payment Option
1. What you need to do first is to access your Shopify Admin. Login to your account at http://www.shopify.com.
2. Once you’re in, click the Settings at the bottom-left corner of the page and select Payment Providers on the list.
3. On the Accept Payments, scroll down to the Manual Payment section then click the drop-down and select Cash on Delivery (COD) on the menu.
4. Place some additional details of this payment method. This will be displayed on the Payment method page while the customer is choosing how to pay. Better inform the customer about the conditions in using COD. This is to ensure that the customer agrees fully with the conditions that you have set.
5. Indicate your payment instructions as well. This will be displayed on the Thank You page after the customer has placed their order.
6. Once you are all set, click the blue Activate button to proceed.
You should see a notice at the bottom saying that you have activated the Cash-on-Delivery gateway.
When your customer goes through the checkout process, under the payment section, they would see the COD option and when they click it, they can see the additional details of this payment method.
You can check USPS Collect-on-Delivery if you want to sign up for this service.
Want us to walk you through it? Watch the video here!
Do You Want To Expand Your E-commerce Business?
If you want to expand your e-commerce business on different platforms, check out our other E-commerce Tutorials.
Just to let you know, we have a couple of experts who have excelled in E-commerce and are willing to share their knowledge. You can out check their blogs at https://blog.sellerschoice.digital/
If you want to hear them live, just sign up for our webinar.