How to Create an Audience and Import Contacts on MailChimp
A critical first step to getting started with MailChimp is setting up your audience. It doesn’t matter if you’re starting from scratch or bringing existing contacts into MailChimp, your audience is where you’ll be storing and managing all your contact data.
Please be advised that the number of audiences you can store in your account depends on your plan. It is also recommended that you maintain only one master audience in Mailchimp, and use tags and segments to organize and target your contacts. Lastly, you need to make sure you’re familiar with the anti-spam practices and audience requirements before you begin this process.
Create an Audience and Import Contacts on MailChimp
1. What you need to do first is to log in to your MailChimp account. Go to http://www.mailchimp.com.
2. Once you’re in, click the Audience Tab on top.
3. On the Audience Page, click the Create Audience button.
4. Name your Audience. Your Subscribers can see this so make sure that it’s something appropriate.
5. The Default Email Address is where your customer can reply to and Default Name is the name of your company.
6. You also need to make sure that you remind them how they signed up to your audience.
7. On the Form Settings, if you Enable double opt-in, your customer will verify their email address first before they can be added on your audience. You also have an option to include the GDPR fields. GDPR form fields include checkboxes that your contacts will use to opt-in to your marketing, and space for you to add the necessary information.
8. For Notifications, this is when MailChimp notifies you about the subscribe/unsubscribe activity of your contacts. Just choose your preference.
9. When you’re done, click the Save button.
You should see a notification indicating that you have created a brand new audience. You can go back to the Audience dashboard and you should see the report of your newly created audience.
10. To import your first contacts, click the Import Your Contact button.
11. Then choose the type of import that you will be doing and click Next. On this example, we will be uploading a CSV file.
12. Click the Browse button and select the CSV file that you will be uploading.
13. On the next page, this is where you will be matching the columns of your CSV file. If you click “Skip All”, it will skip the Unmatched Columns and it will not be imported. So make sure that you edit them first.
14. Click on the drop-down and if the label is not on the list, select the Create New Field and type in the New Field Name. Do it on all of the unmatched columns.
15. Once you’re done, click the Continue to Organize button at the bottom right to proceed.
16. Add the tag of this audience and choose the status of the contact then, click the Continue to Review to proceed.
17. Review the summary and click the Import button if everything is final.
You should now see the contacts on the list of your audiences.
So that’s it. That is how you create an audience and import contacts on MailChimp.
Want us to walk you through it? Watch the video here!
Do You Want To Expand Your E-commerce Business?
If you want to expand your e-commerce business on different platforms, check out our other E-commerce Tutorials.
Just to let you know, we have a couple of experts who have excelled in E-commerce and are willing to share their knowledge. You can out check their blogs at https://blog.sellerschoice.digital/
If you want to hear them live, just sign up for our webinar.