How to Add the Google Ads Conversion Code to Shopify Checkout
Many companies invest a vast portion of their marketing budget into Adwords because it enables them to rank for various search keywords that they are targeting. Google introduced a beta experience for tracking conversions that uses a slightly different tag than you might be used to.
Google supports both the beta and the original versions of AdWords tracking. You can check which version you are using by logging in to your AdWords account and looking at the symbol in the top left corner of your AdWords overview page. If it say’s “Beta”, then you are using the beta experience. If it’s just a typical AdWord logo, then you are using the original experience. The tag codes that are generated will be a little different depending on your version of the AdWords experience.
In adding a conversion tag to your Shopify website, you need to get a Google Ads Conversion Tag and add Google Ads Conversion Tag to your Shopify website.
Get a Google Ads Conversion Tag
1. First, you need to login to your AdWords account.
2. Once you’re in, click the Wrench Icon located in the top right of the page and select “Conversions” under “Measurement” column.
3. Click the “Plus” button for to add a new Conversion Action
4. Select “Website” since this is for your website.
5. You will then be taken to the “New Conversion Action” wizard on where you will just fill out the missing fields and select the appropriate options that apply to you. Enter your conversion name and select the category. Select the value of your conversion, the count, and the others are not that relevant.
6. So once everything is selected, Click the “Create and Continue” button
7. Select the “Install the tag yourself” option.
Since I want to install the tag my self, I’ll select this “Install the tag yourself” option.
8. Just scroll down to the Global Site Tag section, and copy and paste the Global site tag Snippet in a notepad.
Though it says that “You must install this tag on every page of your website” since we are using Shopify, it automatically applies the Global Site Tag to all of the pages of your website.
9. Next is the Event Snippet. This Event snippet will track conversions when placed on the “Check out” page of your Shopify website. So again, copy paste this into the notepad. Make sure it is below the Global Site Tag. Click "Next" and this completes our Google Ads Conversion Tag.
Add Google Ads Conversion Tag
So since we already have the Google Ads conversion tag, we need to attach this to your Shopify website.
1. Login to your Shopify Account
2. Once you’re in, click the “Settings” located at the bottom left of the page.
3. Select the “Check Out” option
4. Scroll down to the “Order Processing” Section and under “Additional Scripts” Copy and paste the Google Ads conversion tag.
5. Once you’re all set, click the “Save” button at the top or at the bottom.
From now on, you can be assured that Google Ads, is going to track all the conversions that come in from your Shopify Website.
Want us to walk you through it? Watch the video here!
Do You Want To Expand Your E-commerce Business?
If you want to expand your e-commerce business on different platforms, check out our other E-commerce Tutorials.
Just to let you know, we have a couple of experts who have excelled in E-commerce and are willing to share their knowledge. You can out check their blogs at https://blog.sellerschoice.digital/
If you want to hear them live, just sign up for our webinar.